Minerals are incorporated into your bones during childhood, adolescence and early adulthood. Once you reach 30 years of age, you have achieved peak bone mass.
If not enough bone mass is created during this time or bone loss occurs later in life, you have an increased risk of developing fragile bones that break easily (1).
Fortunately, many nutrition and lifestyle habits can help you build strong bones and maintain them as you age.
Here are 10 natural ways to build healthy bones.
- 1. Eat Lots of Vegetables
- 2. Perform Strength Training and Weight-Bearing Exercises
- 3. Consume Enough Protein
- 4. Eat High-Calcium Foods Throughout the Day
- 5. Get Plenty of Vitamin D and Vitamin K
- 6. Avoid Very Low-Calorie Diets
- 7. Consider Taking a Collagen Supplement
- 8. Maintain a Stable, Healthy Weight
- 9. Include Foods High in Magnesium and Zinc
- 10. Consume Foods High in Omega-3 Fats