JOE PIZZORNO, ND
Did you know ...
- The average woman absorbs 2 lbs of cosmetics through her skin into her body tissues per year?
- Over 80,000 chemicals are used in manufacturing of items we either put into our mouth or onto our skin?
- The EPA estimates 74 billion lbs of chemicals are produced per day in the U.S. alone?
- 212 chemicals are found in the body of an average U.S. resident?
- Each time we urinate, our urine contains on average 7 pesticides?
- Newborn infants have an average of 287 toxic chemicals found in their cord blood (of which 208 are carcinogenic)?
- More than 80% of herbal supplements from China or India contain harmful levels of heavy metals?
In this video, Dr. Pizzorno discusses the following ...
Arsenic increases the risk of diabetes by 3.6-fold and lung cancer by 5-fold.
Cadmium increases the risk of heart attack by 2-fold, COPD by 2.5-fold, and osteoporosis by 1.4-fold (It is estimated that 20% of osteoporosis is due to cadmium, not nutritional deficiencies).
Lead increases the risk of gout by 3.6-fold, COPD by 2.4-fold.
Organochlorine pesticides increases the risk of diabetes by 9.2-fold and rheumatoid arthritis by 3.5-fold.
Organophosphate pesticides decrease IQ by an average of 7 points and increase the risk for ADHD by 2-fold.
PCBs increase the risk for ADHD by more than 3-fold.
Bisphenol A increases the risk for metabolic syndrome by 1.51-fold and obesity by 2.55-fold
Polybrominated diphenyl ethers increases the risk for diabetes by 3-fold
Phthalates increases the risk for osteoporosis by 14-fold and obesity by 4.3-fold
Polychlorinated biphenyls increases the risk for rheumatoid arthritis by 8.5-fold
Joseph E. Pizzorno Jr., ND, served as Bastyr University's founding president for its first 22 years (1978-2000).
A licensed physician, educator, researcher and expert spokesperson, Dr. Pizzorno is one of the world's leading authorities on science-based natural medicine. Under his pioneering leadership, Bastyr became the first fully accredited, multidisciplinary university of natural medicine and the first school of its kind to receive research funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Serving the Public
With a commitment to advocating for a wider acceptance of natural medicine, Dr. Pizzorno has held a variety of public posts and served on conventional medical boards, including:
- Advisory Panel on the Safety and Efficacy of Dietary Supplements for the U.S. Congress in 1993.
- Ad hoc advisory committee member for the NIH Office of Dietary Supplements in 1996.
- Seattle/King County Board of Health
- White House Commission on Complementary and Alternative Medicine Policy (appointed by President Bill Clinton in 2000)
- Medicare Coverage Advisory Committee (appointed by President George H.W. Bush's administration in 2003).
Works and Writings
Since 2001, Dr. Pizzorno has had his own company, Salugenecists Inc., which develops science-based, artificial intelligence-aided advice systems that provide personalized health promotion and self-care guidance.
Dr. Pizzorno has written and co-authored numerous books and publications, including A Textbook of Natural Medicine, Encyclopedia of Healing Foods, Total Wellness, and Natural Medicine for the Prevention and Treatment of Cancer. He is the founding executive editor of Integrative Medicine: A Clinician's Journal and is on the editorial board of Alternative Medicine magazine and Alternative Therapies magazine, among others.
When he is not writing and editing, serving on boards and running Salugenecists Inc., Dr. Pizzorno travels worldwide, lecturing and promoting science-based natural medicine and collaborative health care.
Awards and Honors
- 2000: Recognized as one of the four most influential leaders in alternative health care by Alternative Healthcare Management.
- 2000: Named "Humanitarian of The Year" by the Cancer Treatment Centers of America.
- 2001: Recognized as one of the leading health educators in the past 30 years by Natural Health magazine.
- 2002: Awarded "Naturopathic Physician of the Year" by the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians.
- 2002: Awarded "Founder's Award for Pioneering Complementary and Alternative Medicine" by the National Foundation for Alternative Medicine.
- 2003: Named "Pioneer in Holistic Medicine" by the American Holistic Medical Association.
- 2006: Recognized as the most illustrious graduate of the National College of Naturopathic Medicine at its 50th anniversary.