Top Foods for Ear Infections
- Water: Helps clear mucus.
- Wild-caught fish: Omega-3 fats help reduce inflammation and improve allergies.
- Non-dairy baby formula: If a baby drinks formula, switch to coconut or goat’s milk-based formulas which tend to cause fewer allergies.
- Clean lean protein: Sufficient protein helps the immune system. Aim for 3-4 ounces at minimum per meal. Shellfish can be problematic for some people; if so, avoid it.
- Fruits and vegetables high in vitamin C: Keeps immune system strong, which helps the body’s ability to ward off infection.
Foods to Avoid
- Potential food allergens: Some common allergens include conventional dairy, gluten, shrimp and peanuts.
- Conventional dairy: Pasteurized cows dairy products can be mucus-producing and worsen infection.
- Sugar: Reduces immune functioning.
- Processed foods: These foods may contain added chemicals and dyes that young children can be sensitive to.
Top 5 Ear Infection Remedies
#1 Garlic oil ear drops: (2 warm drops in ear daily)
Antibacterial and anti-inflammatory.
#2 Zinc (10 mg 2x a day for those older than 2 years old)
Zinc boosts immune function and promotes healing.
#3 Vitamin C (1,000mg 3x a day for adults, 500 mg 2x daily for children 6-12 yoa)
Vitamin C enhances immune function and lowers inflammation.
#4 Echinacea (2 mL 4x daily for children)
Echinacea increases lymphatic drainage and stimulates immune function.
#5 Vitamin D3 (400 IU – 2000 IU daily ages 2-12)
Vitamin D3 helps support the immune system.